Sunday, February 1, 2009

accident

no one ever means for it to happen.
it's terrifying, traumatizing, and just all around bad.
but it made me more thankful.
for the living to tell about it part, I am incredibly thankful.

so, last week, my husband got rear-ended when he was driving my cute little black Nissan. minor, just needed to be taken to a repair shop to get an estimate. insurance will cover it. no big deal.

on friday, as in the 30th of january, my husband came down to my office to pick up my car and take it to the dealership to get an estimate. he was driving our new red chevy (2001 cavalier), and left it in the parking lot for me while he took my car to get the estimate.

here's the red car.



about 15 minutes later, he called, lost, needing help to find the dealership. he had just gone too far, and needed to turn around. (which he did while talking to me on the phone...) as he was pulling his u-turn on a relatively quiet country road, he just didn't look to see the semi coming down the road, and pulled out - an absolutely terrifying experience of glass breaking, metal crunching, and then silence on my end.

i was shocked, and so grateful to hear his voice when he called back 5 minutes later to tell me that he was okay, he had been hit, the car was wrecked, and he had called 911. he was sobbing - way more than disconcerting!

this is the damage.

i hopped in the car with my manager, and she drove me all the way to where he was. on the way, i called my pastor (who started praying immediately and put us on the prayer chain), my parents, and the other branch of the office where i worked to let them know what was going on.

when i got there, he seemed okay. i am so grateful for his life.

so grateful. i can't even explain how thankful i am for him. (tears - just a second - i'll be back.)

i'm back. i shall upload car photos now so you can see the damage...

and evidently it is fixable. we shall see. at this point, i'm thankful for insurance.

there are so many reasons for me to live a grateful life, and this is hopefully the only attention-arresting moment we'll ever have to endure. it has been a tough two months - with my husband's Saturn dying, having to buy another car, getting rear-ended, and now this. we're not sure how we'll make it, but we know that God will provide for all our needs. he has kept us safe, and we are incredibly thankful to Him - for life, for each other, for safety, and for our family and friends.

No comments: