Saturday, January 21, 2012

Tropical Pineapple Cupcakes

My sister-in-law is here with me, and we made cupcakes! No surprise there...

I referenced a new cookbook from my MIL: "Scrumptious Cupcakes: For the Perfect Indulgence"
We decided on Tropical Pineapple Cupcakes:
2 slices canned pineapple in natural juice
1 T pineapple juice
6 T butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 c. superfine sugar
2/3 c. self-rising flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put paper liners in a muffin tin.
Drain the pineapple, reserving the juice. Finely chop the pineapple slices. Place the butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat together until light and fluffy, then gradually beat in the egg. Add the flour and fold into the mixture. Fold in the chopped pineapple and pineapple juice. Spoon the batter into the paper liners.

At this point, I also chopped up and added maraschino cherries to the batter in each cup. My batter didn't go as far as the recipe said - I only had enough for 11 smallish cupcakes. Strange?

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and springy. Cool completely.

The recipe says to use a lemon cream cheese frosting - which sounds delicious - but I had no cream cheese. Instead, I made an orange butter cream!

5 T butter, softened
3-4 T orange juice
3 c. powdered sugar

Mix ingredients...and put on cupcakes!

And then I chopped more pineapple for garnish on the cupcakes! Can't wait to eat them...