Thursday, June 7, 2012

Strawberry Scones

Last night, I was planning to make biscuits to go along with dinner - ham, potatoes, salad for me, broccoli for hubby, and apple sauce. I pulled out my Betty Crocker cookbook for the recipe, but had sudden inspiration.

Chalk it up to pregnancy: the biscuits had to be sweet. With strawberries. I figured I'd add a couple more tablespoons of sugar, and call it a day. But then, I turned the page to the recipe for scones (page 74, Betty Crocker Cookbook, Bridal Edition). Yes! We'll have scones! For dessert, that is.

I set about making the scones recipe, figuring I probably had everything I needed (nope). So here's the recipe, with my changes in parentheses. You know I have a hard time sticking to a recipe!

1 and 3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 T granulated sugar
2 and 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

I sifted the dry ingredients together with my new vintage sifter, very much like this one. Did I tell you about that? Mom and I found it at a thrift store for a dollar. Sweet.

Anyway, I then had another moment of inspiration and decided to add the following:

1/2 t. cardamom
1/2 t. cinnamon

Betty clearly didn't know that this would make scones taste amazing-er.

Moving on. I then used my pastry blender to cut in the 1/3 c. cold butter, (cut into small pieces). Betty says to stir in the egg, vanilla, and just enough of the heavy cream (or skim milk!) so that the dough leaves the side of the bowl. Here are the quantities she recommends:

1 large egg, beaten (or not... I just cracked it into the mix)
1/2 t. vanilla
4-6 T of heavy whipping cream (um... make that skim milk)

Then, I skipped down to the raspberry variation of scones, and folded in about four large strawberries, cut into rough chunks. It was probably a little more than half a cup of fruit.

Next, Betty says to knead the dough and flatten into an 8" circle. I skipped the kneading and just plopped the whole thing down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. I sprinkled sugar on top, cut it into eight pieces without separating the pieces, and in the oven it went! About 20 minutes later, we had delicious, hot, strawberry scones. So good! We had ours with a bit of vanilla ice cream - the hubby approved.

No comments: