Wednesday, September 26, 2012

charity knitting

I like knitting for other people. It's somehow harder to knit for myself - like the time is better used if I can give something away!

Each year, I knit things to give to my family members as Christmas gifts, and I like to try to fit something in to give to a charity. This year, I found the Red Scarf Program, which is part of Foster Care to Success. The organization helps college students to feel loved and warm on Valentine's Day each year by sending a red scarf to each student that has been in foster care.

Here's what I came up with:

A squishy, soft infinity scarf!

I happened to have some red acrylic yarn in my stash that was looking for the perfect project. Paired with a reddish brown mohair, it makes a cozy scarf!

I knit in a basic basketweave pattern, using big needles to allow the mohair to stay lofty. It didn't take long to finish because of the bigger needles!

To finish the scarf, I seamed the finished edges together, creating an infinity scarf. It will be so cozy - worn once around the neck, or twisted double for extra warmth. The college student bonus is that both of these yarns are machine washable, and therefore, late-night (or early morning) coffee-run friendly.
I hope and pray that the student who gets the scarf feels cozy and warm! I wish I could hug you and tell you that you truly are loved.

No comments: