Most baby mitten patterns are for thumbless mittens, because little ones aren't yet ready to use their thumbs most of the time. However, my toddler has begun to pick things up with his thumb and first finger, and I'm sure he'd be frustrated if his mittens didn't have a thumb. So, as usual, I've modified a pattern to make it work for us. I started with this pattern, making some changes.
First, I've added some length the the cuff, as an attempt to keep these mittens on Joshua's busy hands. I knitted 20 rows instead of the 8 recommended. This will allow me to fold the cuff over so that it's a bit more snug on his tiny wrist.
|please excuse the poor quality picture from my phone!|
Finally, I made I-cord to attach the two mittens. I'll thread the mittens through the sleeves of his jacket to keep them from getting separated. I hope this will also keep them on his hands a little longer!
|Again, another phone picture.|
Linking up to Sew Much Ado's "We Did it! Wednesday" linky party