this afternoon we had a pumpkin carving party at our friend, Sarah's house. here's how mine turned out:
to make the leaf cutouts, i traced a real maple leaf onto the pumpkin with a sharpie. it could also be scored into the pumpkin with a pencil, i suppose. i then cut out the bottom of the pumpkin to get rid of all the seeds and gunk. this makes it easier to light a candle inside - no reaching deep into the pumpkin. i made a little votive-sized indentation in the bottom part so that the candle would be more stable. finally, i cut out the leaf shapes, wiped the outside of the pumpkin clean, and put a candle in. ta-da!
for the little "happy fall" pumpkin, i used watercolor paint, and it's beginning to chip already. that's just all the paint we had there - should've used acrylic, i know. it still looks cute, and it's temporary. hooray for fall decorating!