Sunday, July 17, 2011

found.

My parents' home was built a very long time ago by my great grandfather, who was known in the area for his construction work. All that said, the rambling, added-onto-over-the-years house has some beautiful big rooms and tall windows, lots of crown molding with handmade dental trim, exterior stone walls and hand-hewn shingles, and all sorts of treasures from days gone by. There's an installed intercom system that looks like it's from the 50's. Charred (but still strong) ceiling beams. Perfectly light blue walls. Built in furniture and fireplaces. One-of-a-kind, irreplaceable light fixtures. In the basement, there's a room that has remained unfinished for years, and it's where we store a whole bunch of stuff that never gets used. It's where I found those blue mason jars, and this:

it's a Canada Dry soda-pop bottle crate! it's made of wood, with metal flashing at the side seams. The paint is perfectly faded, and I love it. The antique enthusiasts might yell at me, but I sanded it and added a couple of coats of shellac to it. It makes a very cute magazine holder!

No comments: